Reports to: President and CEO
FSLA Status: Exempt
Hour Status: 40 hours, may include some nights and weekends
Locations: Burnsville, MN
About the Organization: Founded in 1970 by a group of volunteers, 360 Communities is a nonprofit organization which provides services to more than 16,000 people annually in over 40 locations in Dakota County, Minnesota. Holistic services include a network of five food shelves, two family resource centers, two domestic and sexual violence shelters, and two programs that support school success from birth to high school graduation.
Our mission: 360 Communities delivers safety and stability that improves lives.
The Director of Finance and Administration (DoF&A) works with 360 Communities leadership to monitor the financial position and risk of the organization and manages a broad range of administrative activities. Responsibilities include analyzing the organization’s financial performance, monitoring risks, overseeing office administrative functions, and managing a team to support these efforts. As an active partner with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), brings a forward-looking and proactive stance to managing the organization’s finances and administrative operations.
Responsible for all accounting operations and provides compliance oversight for agency Information Technology and Human Resources. The DoF&A focuses on ensuring the accuracy of reported financial results, maintaining a system of records, mitigating risk through a comprehensive set of controls, and ensuring that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles. Is additionally responsible for cash management and risk management.
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Finance & Accounting
- Lead financial planning efforts including development and preparation of annual budget, required financial statements and reports to all funders
- Perform financial planning and analysis related to cash flow projections, anticipated private and government funding, and other budget considerations
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting including month-end and year-end close processes
- Manage accounting controls, accuracy and productivity of day-to-day activities of cash receipts, cash disbursements, payroll and fixed assets
- Safeguard assets and assure accurate and timely recording of all transactions by implementing disciplines of internal audits, controls and checks across the agency
- Oversee banking and other investment accounts
- Complete all required local, state and federal reports and filings as required by law and agency governance including, but not limited to;
- Form 990
- Secretary of State 501(c)3 Report
- Combined Federal Campaign
- Charitable Organization Annual Report
- Applicable tax filings
Audit and Internal Controls
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Prepare all audit papers required by outside audit firm to ensure an accurate, timely and thorough auditing process
- Work closely with audit firm on all phases of their fieldwork to ensure proper interpretation of all information provided by the agency
- Oversee all aspects of payroll including timesheet collection, data entry, payroll checks, payroll taxes and benefit deductions, and generating reports as needed
- Work closely with Staff Accountant and / or Human Resources Manager to ensure accuracy
- Maintain insurance coverage for the agency and proper recording and allocation of coverage to agency services
- Analyze agencies financial risk; partner with leadership team to determine funding sources and strategy as the organization grows
- Manage and monitor all service provision contracts
- Responsible for compliance oversight of outsourced managed service providers of information systems, including software, hardware and network support
- Review all aspects of agency computers, network and software ensuring proper purchasing within current licensing practices, adequate data safeguard measures, network security and administration
- Provide basic hardware and software support
- Responsible for all aspects of the organization’s Human Resources compliance requirements, including but not limited to employee benefits, recruitment, employee orientation, employee training and compliance with state and federal employment laws
- Partner with insurance broker to research and identify employee benefit plans that may provide more benefits for employees at a lower cost for the agency and present to management for review and approval
Facilities & General Office Management
- Responsible for property management including ensuring buildings are neat in appearance, free of clutter, adequately maintained and protected
- Maintain long-term capital plan and maintenance plan
- Responsible for inventory management and supervising the purchasing of consumable office supplies
Management Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage a team.
- Responsible for directing, motivating, developing, evaluating and reviewing staff work.
- Managing staff, preparing work schedules, and assigning projects and duties.
- Monitoring and controlling resources used by staff.
- Interview and train new employees, or oversee those personnel processes.
- Proven work experience as Financial Controller or Finance Director
- Thorough knowledge of finance and accounting principles, procedures, laws, and best practices
- Detailed knowledge of financial analysis and forecasting
- Experience creating financial statements
- Experience with general ledger functions and month-end/year-end close processes
- Background or experience in managing or overseeing the reporting and compliant use of government funding—both at the Federal and local level
- Excellent accounting software user and administration skill
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field
- Minimum 10 years of combined accounting and finance experience
- A CPA or other relevant qualification is preferred
- Experience in both the private and public sectors is strongly preferred
- Non-profit experience a plus
Professional Abilities and Skills
- Interpersonal: Work with integrity. Ability to maintain confidentiality. Understand and comply with professional ethics and standards of practice. Contribute to building positive team spirit and put success of team above own interests. Recognize accomplishments of other team members. Seek increased responsibilities. Look for and takes advantage of opportunities. Ask for and offers help when needed.
- Work: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited direction may exist. Strive to continuously build knowledge and skills. Display original thinking and creativity. Include appropriate people in decision-making process. Adapt to changes, delays, or unexpected events in the work environment. Ability to keep accurate and complete work records. Support cost saving measures. Set and achieve challenging goals.
- Time Management: Prioritize and plan work activities. Use time efficiently. Arrive punctually each workday; complete assigned tasks within required time frame.
- Communication: Speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listen and get clarification. Present and interpret numerical data and written information effectively.
- Leadership: Exhibits confidence in self and others. Inspires respect, trust and motivates others to perform well and fulfill vision. Effectively influence actions and opinions of others. Accepts feedback from others. Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates. Gives appropriate recognition to others. Displays passion and optimism.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Must possess and maintain a valid Minnesota driver’s license.
- Must possess Personal Auto Insurance limits of $100,000/$300,000/$100,000 or a combined single limit of $300,000.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Typical office environment, exposure to fax machines and copiers, computers, scanners and printers.
- School environment and community spaces.
- Employee is subject to minimal noise level.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, sit, use hands to write, type, use computers, and lift up to 25 lbs.
- May require independent travel to other locations with unknown environmental conditions and noise levels.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A complete job description can be requested by e-mailing HR@360communities.org.
360 Communities values racial, ethnic and cultural diversity. We strongly encourage diverse candidates to apply.
360 Communities is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, familial status, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, or status with regard to public assistance, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.