Position Type: Part-time 20 hours per week, school year only, non-exempt
Pay Range: Starting at $18.00 per hour
Locations: Lakeville, MN – Oak Hills Elementary School
Closing Date: Open until filled
About the Organization: Founded in 1970 by a group of volunteers, 360 Communities is a nonprofit organization which provides services to more than 16,000 people annually in over 40 locations in Dakota County, Minnesota. Holistic services include a network of five food shelves, two family resource centers, two domestic and sexual violence shelters, and two programs that support school success from birth to high school graduation.
Our mission: 360 Communities delivers safety and stability that improves lives.
The Family Support Worker is in a school-based setting, working cooperatively with school staff to identify families and students in need of additional support related to community resources, academic success, and safety. The primary purpose of this position is to create a trusted link between home and school by providing parents with tools, resources, and strategies to ensure families are stable and children achieve and sustain school success.
Description of Responsibilities
- Show commitment to client rights and confidentiality as a community partner.
- Follow mandated reporting laws for child abuse and neglect.
- Work cooperatively and professionally by building relationships and trust with school staff and families to successfully meet the needs of the school and families with respect to school success.
- Initiate conversation and collaborate with school staff and families to support academic success. Engage parents and students in creating a home environment that encourages learning and promotes increased parental involvement in school.
- Follow-up with referrals from school staff, 360 Communities co-workers, self-referrals and community partners.
- Advocate and partner with parents, cultural liaisons and school staff to promote equitable and inclusive learning opportunities and increase access to resources by linking to formal and informal supports.
- Complete family intake based on family strengths, needs and risks (school success as it relates to academic success, domestic and sexual violence, food, housing, financial stability, county and community resources, child maltreatment and neglect, etc.).
- Provide appropriate service coordination in response to intake and family plan, either through connecting to services within 360 Communities or through a referral basis (this may include, but is not limited to: home visitation, advocacy, and ongoing case management).
- Identify goals and create strategies based on individual needs and strengths of parents and students and provide ongoing support and follow-up.
- Collect data and maintain accurate records to ensure effective case management and for statistical, evaluation, and funding purposes.
- Promote a sense of community and school belonging through the partnership between 360 Communities and the school district.
- May require independent travel to other locations with unknown environmental conditions and noise levels (including visits to homes or community locations)
Required Professional Abilities and Skills
- Interpersonal: Work with integrity. Ability to maintain confidentiality. Understand and comply with professional ethics and standards of practice. Contribute to building positive team spirit and put success of team above own interests. Recognize accomplishments of other team members. Seek increased responsibilities. Look for and takes advantage of opportunities. Ask for and offers help when needed.
- Work: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited direction may exist. Strive to continuously build knowledge and skills. Display original thinking and creativity. Include appropriate people in decision-making process. Adapt to changes, delays, or unexpected events in the work environment. Ability to keep accurate and complete work records. Support cost saving measures. Set and achieve challenging goals.
- Time Management: Prioritize and plan work activities. Use time efficiently. Arrive punctually each workday; complete assigned tasks within required time frame.
- Communication: Speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listen and get clarification. Present and interpret numerical data and written information effectively.
- Leadership: Exhibits confidence in self and others. Inspires respect, trust and motivates others to perform well and fulfill vision. Effectively influence actions and opinions of others. Accepts feedback from others. Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates. Gives appropriate recognition to others. Displays passion and optimism.
- A Bachelor’s degree is preferred, but experience in lieu of degree will be considered.
- 1 – 2 years’ experience working with families who are experiencing stress, in crisis, and/or who are isolated. This includes demonstrating mentoring skills, knowledge of neighborhood resources, and ability to teach positive parenting.
- Secondary language preferred or required.
- Minnesota Mandated Reporter training; either successful completion of or enrollment and completion of training at the first available opening after hire.
- Must pass a pre-employment background check.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Minnesota driver’s license.
- Must possess Personal Auto Insurance limits of $100,000/$300,000/$100,000 or a combined single limit of $300,000.
A complete job description can be requested by e-mailing HR@360communities.org.
360 Communities values racial, ethnic and cultural diversity. We strongly encourage diverse candidates to apply.
360 Communities is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, familial status, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, or status with regard to public assistance, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.