Position Type: Full-time, 40 hours per week, exempt
Pay Range: Starting at $40,000 per year
Location: Burnsville, MN
Closing Date: open until filled
About the Organization: Founded in 1970 by a group of volunteers, 360 Communities is a nonprofit organization which provides services to more than 16,000 people annually in over 40 locations in Dakota County, Minnesota. Holistic services include a network of five food shelves, two family resource centers, two domestic and sexual violence shelters, and two programs that support school success from birth to high school graduation.
Our mission: 360 Communities delivers safety and stability that improves lives.
Summary: The purpose of the Volunteer Coordinator position is to work collaboratively to develop a strong and sustainable volunteer base by building relationships throughout the community to support the mission of 360 Communities. This role specifically focuses on group volunteers and ongoing event volunteers supporting programs and services offered by 360 Communities.
Description of Responsibilities
- Work with the volunteer manager to increase volunteers through an effective recruitment strategy while enhancing diversity among volunteers.
- Meet and organize prospective group and event volunteers for 360 Communities programs and provide agency overview and orientation.
- Facilitate and provide training and opportunities to groups and ongoing event volunteers. Partner with volunteer manager and supervisors/coordinators to ensure volunteers are appropriately trained.
- Connect group volunteers with opportunities that match their skills and passion and also fulfill a need within the organization.
- Provide ongoing communication with program staff to identify needs and create opportunities for group volunteer projects.
- Gather feedback from program staff to assess success of the project.
- Assist with volunteer interviews and provide agency overview and orientation at the direction of the volunteer manager.
- Assist with processing volunteer application paperwork and background checks at the direction of the volunteer manager.
- Provide ongoing communication with volunteers to ensure a positive experience and increase volunteer retention.
- Assist in departure process and exit interviews when a volunteer’s experience is finished as directed by volunteer manager.
- Maintain accurate tracking and logging of volunteer information and hours into the database, ensuring volunteer information is current.
- Reward and recognize volunteers by working with the volunteer manager to plan annual appreciation events and coordinate other types of appreciation throughout the year.
- Work collaboratively with volunteer manager to plan program evaluation activities to ensure continuous improvement of volunteer program.
- Assist in coordination of scheduling and staffing of community events, speaking engagements and volunteer fairs, communicate staffing needs as appropriate.
- Represent 360 Communities through public speaking engagements, at community events, and at volunteer fairs as needed, specifically as they pertain to group volunteerism and related fundraising events.
- Attend and participate in team meetings, trainings and community meetings as directed.
- Co-lead the Armful of Love program with the volunteer manager.
Supervisory Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the directing, motivating, evaluating, and reviewing group volunteers and ongoing event volunteers in program areas within the organization.
- Recruit, onboard, and provide education and training to group and ongoing event volunteers for the organization.
Professional Abilities and Skills
- Interpersonal: Work with integrity. Ability to maintain confidentiality. Understand and comply with professional ethics and standards of practice. Contribute to building positive team spirit and put success of team above own interests. Recognize accomplishments of other team members. Seek increased responsibilities. Look for and takes advantage of opportunities. Ask for and offers help when needed.
- Work: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited direction may exist. Strive to continuously build knowledge and skills. Display original thinking and creativity. Include appropriate people in decision-making process. Adapt to changes, delays, or unexpected events in the work environment. Ability to keep accurate and complete work records. Support cost saving measures. Set and achieve challenging goals. Ability to provide supervision and coaching to support service volunteers.
- Time Management: Prioritize and plan work activities. Use time efficiently. Arrive punctually each workday. Complete assigned tasks within required time frame.
- Communication: Speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Listen and get clarification. Present and interpret numerical data and written information effectively.
- Leadership: Exhibits confidence in self and others. Inspires respect and trust. Motivates others to perform well and fulfill vision. Effectively influence actions and opinions of others. Accepts feedback from others. Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates. Gives appropriate recognition to others. Displays passion and optimism.
- Education and/or Experience 1-2 years of related experience. Bachelor’s degree preferred, but experience in lieu of a degree will be considered.
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and use of database systems.
- A valid Minnesota driver’s license, reliable personal transportation, acceptable driving record, and personal auto insurance with limits of $100,000/$300,000/$100,000 or a combined single limit of $300,000.
- An offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check prior to employment.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Minnesota driver’s license.
- Must possess Personal Auto Insurance limits of $100,000/$300,000/$100,000 or a combined single limit of $300,000.
- Experience working in an organization which provides crisis intervention and work related to supportive services
- Experience coordinating both small and large events
- Use of a computer-based volunteer management system (ex. Results Plus).
A complete job description can be requested by e-mailing HR@360communities.org.
360 Communities values racial, ethnic and cultural diversity. We strongly encourage diverse candidates to apply.
360 Communities is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, familial status, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, or status with regard to public assistance, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.